June 5, 2012

Wear it like a Crown

I've never been one for circuses. In fact, the typical clown freaks me out. As I'm sure fellow assistants in the workplace can attest, one of the only (if any) benefits to being your boss' slave assistant is the occasional hand-me-down. Such was the case this weekend, when my boss gave me tickets to see Wear it like a Crown by Cirkus Cirkor at BAM. I took my mom, who has always wanted to see Cirque du Soleil, and though at first I didn't really know what to expect, I ended up loving the whole spectacle. The scale is nothing along the lines of Cirque du Soleil - the atmosphere within BAM's Howard Gilman Opera House is very intimate and fairly small - but after the initial puzzlement at what I was seeing, I was drawn in to the world of these wacky characters. The work consists of six performers looking to connect with the world, with each other, through their magical acts - including juggling, knife-throwing, acrobatics, and dance. 

My favorites were a pair of jugglers/trapeze artists that found love.. They also did amazing tricks and really brought the house down! 

Unfortunately the show is over at BAM and will be touring other parts of the world but they will probably be back soon with another show, which you can bet I will be going to. Consider me a circus convert. Maybe, just maybe, I'll even shell out the money to go to Cirque du Soleil. 

(via circus nyc)

(via cirko)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!